Friday, June 29, 2012

Book of the Week

Well hello fellow comic fans. Thanks for joining me again in this weekly celebration of comic goodness. Despite how it seems, the world of comics isn't always about controversy. We do enjoy our books greatly and that's what we're here to do right now.

Finding a home in my collection are Amazing Spider-Man #688, Spider-Men #2, Wolverine & the X-Men #12, X-Men Legacy #269, X-Men #31, Gears of War #24 (final issue), I Vampire #10, Justice League #10, Witchblade #157, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #11. I didn't get my hands on the Fatale Vol. 1 TPB, but it's okay. Overall, it was a good week of releases.

But of course only one book can come out on top. And surprisingly, it's a DC book. I never thought I would've saw that. It's not that I hate DC. Obviously, I don't or I wouldn't spend my dollars on them. But their books don't always connect with me as Marvel and Image comics do. I know how that may sound, so I'll put it out there that I don't read them expecting them to be of lesser quality than other books. I give all books their fair shot. That even included New 52 Action Comics and Superman. Both of which turned out to be trash, but you know, I gave them their chance.

Onto a more positive note, my book of the week is I, Vampire #10. Joshua Hale Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino's series is, in my opinion, one of the better books post-relaunch. Let's see what "Waiting for the end of the World" has in store for readers.

In the previous issue, readers were left with two notes. One of those is Andrew taking on anyone who would challenge his control. Who took that challenge? Mary of course. The second of those points is the introduction of the Van Helsings. Whom, according to the cover of this book, are the ultimate vampire killers. In this issue they descend upon Andrew, Mary, and their band of loyal bloodsucking followers.

At one point in the book, Sorrentino opens up Andrew and Mary's fight and he shows out. It's a beautiful two-page spread where Mary has transformed into a giant beast with Andrew still looking like well, Andrew. Cool glasses and all. But that's not all. In the background, the pages are broken up into 20 panels showing the flow of the fight. While some of it obstructed because of the figures in the foreground, it's still something to behold. His work is complimented with Marcelo Maiolo colors giving it a darker vibe. They're a good pair, especially fitting for this book.

I, Vampire has a lot of good qualities. At the top of the list for this particular issue is the discussion of morality between the Professor Troughton and the leader of the Van Helsings. The talk of morality revolves around Andrew and Mary's "struggle" for power and the Van Helsings basically murdering anyone getting in the way of their mission.

If you haven't been reading I, Vampire, you should check it out. It's only getting better and the cliff-hanger could lead to disaster for our protagonists. So my friends, that's my book of the week. I'm curious to see what other people thought of this book as well as what your personal pick of the week. Let me know and of course thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment