Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Action Figure Foursome #1: Turtles Named NICK

Welcome to Action Figure Foursome! Here I will put the spotlight on action figures in sets of four. I may briefly review the figures, but it won't be too extensive. While their connections will vary from entry to entry, you can always count on some cool action figures. Well, that's unless I decide to do an entry focusing on horrible figures. It could happen.

For this first entry, let's take a look at the most recent figures I've acquired fitting my (limited) criteria. Say hello to the 2012 Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures from Playmates Toys. These figures are tied to the new Nick cartoon marking the resurgence of the Heroes in a Half-Shell. I grabbed these guys from Wally World for $7.77 each. I passed on the other figures because they don't look good at all.


The biggest issue I have with them is Mikey's height. I can take him being shorter than the others, but he didn't have to be that short. I also don't like how Leo has three katana but they're all different lengths. So much for twin katana.

Leonardo is my favorite turtle for several reasons, but I'm most fond of Donatello's figure. I think Donnie's head-sculpt is the best of the four.


Another issue which can barely be seen here deals with Mikey. His nunchucks don't fit well on his back to the point where they collect some damage squeezing them in. It would've been great if they would have gone with the chain link similar to that of the NECA Mikey figure.


Their weapons are pretty cool because it reminds me of the TMNT toys as a kid that had weapons on a weapon tree. Leo and Raph's are done in gray while Mikey's are more orange and Donnie's are colored in brown.

Overall, they're pretty nice figures and there is even a new van which could definitely make for some cool playtime. They have pretty good articulation, which is more than we can say for the rest of the line at this point. If you're in the market for some Ninja Turtle toys, you'll enjoy these.

Thanks for joining me on this first edition of Action Figure Foursome. Be back for more toy goodness (and other stuff as well of course). I'll be going through my entire collection and have some interesting team-ups planned. Hope you enjoyed this. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment