Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Congrats to the 2012 Harvey Award Winners

This past weekend, fans and creators headed east to unite at Baltimore Comic-Con. We all know what comes when we gather at conventions: fans and creators meet, costumes are seen, and all that other good stuff we love. Beyond that though, BCC also held the Harvey Awards which honor some of the best talent and work in comics.

As I was not in attendance, of course I had to check the list of winners. Congrats to them as well as those even nominated. I also wanted to check a prediction. I guessed that Daredevil and its creative team would take home several awards and it took home four. It's safe to say I was correct. Let's be honest, that wasn't hard to foresee if you've been reading the book and if you saw how well it did at the Eisners in San Diego. But Daredevil was only part of the show, so here are some highlights from the winners starting with the big ones.

Hero Initiative's Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year presented by Kevin Brogan
- Joe Kubert
What can you really say that hasn't been said about the late great talent? When we lost Joe, we lost a man who had a talented hand and someone who helped others enhance their skills and bring us fantastic work.

Hero Initiative's Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.
- John Romita Jr.
I'm no stranger to JRJR's work. I've been a fan of his since way back. While I didn't catch his earlier work as it was released, I would pick it up later on.

Best Artist
- J.H. Williams III on Batwoman
I've pointed out on twitter how much I've enjoyed Williams work on this book. The way he lays out the panels and incorporates background imagery is worth the price of admission alone.

Best Continuing or Limited Series
- Daredevil from Marvel Comics
I've been a DD fan for several years and I recommend this series if you haven't been reading. I wouldn't say its the best book out there, but the voters have spoken and it definitely deserves its credit.

Best Domestic Reprint Project
- Walt Simonson's The Mighty Thor Artists' Edition from IDW Publishing
I don't have this edition but I have many of Simonson's Thor issues and it's good stuff. The writing and art are both quality.

Best New Series
- Daredevil from Marvel Comics
This category is one which should always be recognized because in the world of comics, a lot of attention is on the next thing. This is also a category which had been removed from this years Eisners for lack of quality books meeting their standards.

Best Original Graphic Publication for Younger Readers
- Anya's Ghost from First Second
I don't know anything about this book. I felt it deserved some attention because I feel books aimed at younger readers are lost in the shuffle when everyone wants books to be dripping with grit and mature themes. That tends to leave the younger generations without quality reads.

Best Writer
- Mark Waid on Daredevil
If it's the best book, it is for a reason and that's the creative team behind. Waid is no stranger to praise as I'm sure he fits into many fans' personal best writer category.

Most Promising New Talent
- Sara Pichelli on Ultimate Spider-Man
Pichelli's work at Marvel has been amazing and I can't wait to see what's lined up for her in the future. You can check her out on Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Men.

For the full list of nominees and winners CBR has them laid out for you. Again, congrats to all the winners. To the readers, keep buying and reading and spread the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment