Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book of the Week

Here we are on New Comic Book Day Eve and two days before Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it anyway). Speaking of new comic books, a subject I discussed on twitter yesterday, there are 20 comics I'll be picking up this week. You know what I'm thankful for? A holiday weekend that allows me to read all 20 books without worry of work or school. I foresee some good reading ahead of me.

Before we get to my favorite, take a quick look at the competition for the week. All New X-Men #1, Amazing Spider-Man #697, Batgirl #14, Batman #14, Extermination #6, Gambit #5, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #184, Green Lantern Corps #14, Invincible #97, New Avengers #33, Thief of Thieves #10, Thor: God of Thunder #1, Venom #27, Wolverine and the X-Men #20 and X-Men Legacy #1. With all that, let's give a round of applause to writer Brian Michael Bendis, penciller Stuart Immonen, inker Wade Von Grawbadger, colorist Marte Gracia and letterer Cory Petit. All New X-Men #1 opens the next chapter for the X-universe.

I'll admit I questioned Bendis handling the X-Men when this move was announced. Granted, this is just the first issue so we haven't had much time with the X-Men from the past. But I obviously enjoyed this issue and look forward to the next. If you're a long-time X-fan (as I am) and was hesitant about this: pick this up.

Cyclops has been liberated, he re-joins Magneto, Emma Frost and Magik in recruiting the newly mutated citizens of the world. The Cyclops fan and X-Man in me immediately fell in love with a three particular panels in which Cyke declares his stand on mutants in the world and the X-Men. Immonen's depiction of Summers making the "X" with his forearms is an image I won't forget. And I can thank the art team for that.

Stuart Immonen and Wade Von Grawbadger have collaborated before and you can expect the same high quality level of work here. And who doesn't want more Immonen art? His characters look great all around. From a storytelling standpoint, his pencils convey the script well. Marte Gracia adds in his colors to really make the book come alive.

I'm looking forward to what this book will bring, even with my previously stated reservations. Long live the X-Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment